Mary's Art Cafe_Review

Thank you all for visiting my art cafe! It wa such a great time to see you enjoying art!

Mary's Art Cafe was a week long project curated by me, with the theme of ordinary life with artwork in a cafe. The cafe place was my studio which is offered by Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova Museum's residency program. I showed fiver artists here: Maja Breife, Simon Kentgens, Jan Lemitz, Hans-Peter Schütt, and Heikki Takala.

All the visitors had to follow the rule;

1. Choose the menu-all the menu was in artists' names who are showing their artwork during the cafe time
2. You were allowed to smell mysterious menu while all the names of artists were written on
3. While you enjoy your drink you choose, you could appreciate artwork which was made by the same artist you chose for your drink (Some asked if these names are real or fake, for instance, not existing person in the world, but they are all alive, contemporary artists)
4. You had to pay with non materialistic method, if you paid with any material things, I resent those to the customers, instead, your hand photos with your menu were not taken.

Here are some photos from the cafe.




 Even though it was snowy or windy, all the customers were so eager to experience Mary's Art Cafe!! Thanks!!

Here are some photos of artwork in case you missed. Of course, you can also click the artists' names to see more works above.
Maja Breife

Hans-Peter Schütt
 This work by Maja Breife was supposed to be taken by participants. And many of them used the scissors to take those pandas with them. I was glad to see the reactions from the visitors.

Maja Breife

Heikki Takala's Animation

Hans-Peter Schütt

Simon Kentgens' 'Thank you for your understanding'

Mary and a customer

Jan Lemitz's Rooftops
The reason why I dressed up with my yukata with Obi (decorative belt) is because of the spirit you need to have for the customers. I went to Kyoto, Japan right before I came here Finland last summer. There was a tiny restaurant only one or two people might fit in. The owner looked super happy to entertain the customers. And also the customers were happy to be there not just for the food but also the converstation they enjoy. Since this is my curatorial project with my performance in it, I tried to have the same spirit I saw last summer in Kyoto. I hope all enjoyed!
Thanks for all your support! I look forward to seeing you again at my next project!

Comments